[Web4lib] RE: Federated search products and Full Text/Peer Reviewlimiting

Julie Blume Nye julie.nye at fdusa.com
Wed Apr 19 14:29:20 EDT 2006

> one of the core weaknesses of
> federated searching, i.e.- it can't do a better job than (or even as
> good of a job as) any given database's native interface. Unless the

Not necessarily true -- if the targets don't support a feature, the
federated search software may be able to implement it on the client side.

For example,  Fretwell Downing's ZPORTAL limits to peer reviewed journals by
comparing results received from each database against a 'master' list of
peer-reviewed journals.   (The comparison is on ISSN, not journal title.)
This allows the peer reviewed limit to applied to results from many more
databases since most databases include ISSNs in their results, while
relatively few support peer-reviewed limiting at present.
Either Openly.Informatics' UHF data or Bowker's Ulrich's dataset can be used
as the master list of peer-reviewed journals.

This is also the approach ZPORTAL has taken for other features that many
targets don't support (or don't support in comparable ways) -- e.g. date
limiting.

---------------------------------------
Julie Blume Nye
Senior Product Designer -- Fretwell-Downing, Inc.
407 River Trace Dr.
Rougemont, NC 27572
Phone: 336-364-2607 Fax: 336-364-4224
E-mail: mailto:julie.nye at fdusa.com
Website: www.fdusa.com

The information transmitted in this electronic mail message may contain
confidential and or privileged materials. For full details and restrictions
see http://www.fdgroup.com/emaildisclaimer.html