[Web4lib] Macromedia Captivate (formerly RoboDemo)

Douglas Goans libdgg at langate.gsu.edu
Tue Apr 18 17:13:35 EDT 2006

At Georgia State University Library we have used Captivate to create a multi-module tutorial on a database called PORT (Psychology Online Research Tutorial) and some other tutorials on SFX, off campus access, and Google Scholar.

http://www.library.gsu.edu/tutorials/

We plan to do more things like this over time.

IMO, the one feature that seems weakest in Captivate is the quizzing capabilities. It is possible to set up a section for review at the end of a tutorial but the means to control the navigation, presentation, and layout of the quiz features seem to have been built separately from the rest of the software. I found the quiz feature to be the most disappointing part of an otherwise intuitive interface for developing tutorials.

-dg

Doug Goans
Web Development Librarian
Georgia State University Library