[Web4lib] Federated search products and Full Text/Peer Review limiting

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Tue Apr 18 15:10:09 EDT 2006

If you think they're not going to do that anyway, you are grossly
overestimating your audience.

The truth is that there's a near infinite number of citations available.

Your library has a very finite number of titles/resources.

The more times the user clicks on a link to wind up at your resolver screen
(and there's no fulltext available) the user is going to view that as 'a
failed search'.  Unless the user knows that this citation is absolutely
essential to the task at hand, they will not request it via ILL.

Further, even if you own the item in print, but your link resolver is unable
to tell the user that (say, it's a conference proceeding, a government
document or merely a different edition of a book), this will also be viewed
as a failure.

The more these failures add up, the less confidence the user will have that
'clicking on a link resolver button' will get them anything worthwhile.  The
smaller your collection (or the larger the amount of searchable citations)
will only make this worse.

Honestly, it is /essential/ that we integrate the link resolver better into
results.  Whether that means different icons for different level support,
different text, different menus, whatever.

Constantly sending the users down a long and dark hallway into a room full
of closed doors is not going to inspire a lot of patron confidence in our
services.

-Ross.