[Web4lib] 'request timed out' versus 'destination host unreachable'

John Fitzgibbon jfitzgibbon at Galwaylibrary.ie
Tue Apr 18 07:23:07 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm preparing a short document on network troubleshooting for the staff
here. When a server is down, we sometimes get a 'destination host
unreachable' message from a router when we ping it. Sometimes, we get
the message 'request timed out'. My guess is that the latter is caused
by the nearest router being too busy to reply. Am I right in this?

Also, when a router fails to get a reply (request timed out) from the
server that is down does it send a 'destination host unreachable'
message back up the line? What precisely is the difference between the
two responses that we get?

Also, I'm unable to simulate a 'destination network unreachable' message
even when I type in a nonsensical IP address that is definitely not on
our network.

Any enlightenment would be much appreciated.

Regards
John

Tá eolas atá príobháideach agus rúnda sa ríomhphost seo
agus aon iatán a ghabhann leis agus is leis an duine/na daoine
sin amháin a bhfuil siad seolta chucu a bhaineann siad.
Mura seolaí thú, níl tú údaraithe an ríomhphost nó aon iatán
a ghabhann leis a léamh, a chóipáil ná a úsáid.
Má tá an ríomhphost seo faighte agat trí dhearmad,
cuir an seoltóir ar an eolas thrí aischur ríomhphoist
agus scrios ansin é le do thoil.

This e-mail and any attachment contains information which is
private and confidential and is intended for the addressee
only. If you are not an addressee, you are not authorised
to read, copy or use the e-mail or any attachment.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
the sender by return e-mail and then destroy it.