[Web4lib] Clarification on Section 508

Stiofan Perkins scccp at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 15 17:44:01 EDT 2006

As noted, most US states have adopted laws for state
websites that track either Sec 508 or the W3 WAI
standards.  I have posted several messages over the
past year that refer to these laws.  The Web4Lib
archives should have them if you do a search on
accessibility and section 508.  There are similar laws
in effect in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the
UK.

So, generally, if you receive public monies, then,
yes, you probably have a positive duty to create an
accessible web site.  Here in Texas, the State has
made it a requirement when contracting with website
creators.

Steven C. Perkins

http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/16C/145.html