[Web4lib] Clarification on Section 508

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Sat Apr 15 15:09:10 EDT 2006

On 4/15/2006 11:28 AM, Richard Wiggins wrote:

> Section 508 is a procurement law for Federal agencies...

My apologies if I overstated any legal requirement for publicly funded
colleges and universities to comply with Section 508.  I may be
misremembering, but I thought that the U.S. Dept. of Education's
assistive technology grants obliged the states or institutions that
accepted them to comply.  But the point is moot, since there are no
accessibility police to enforce that obligation if it actually exists.

In practice, all web sites should be accessible because it's the right
thing to do, because it isn't a very difficult thing to do, and because
not doing it is a remarkably effective way of telling some of your users
that you're insensitive to their needs.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu