[Web4lib] Microsoft Academic Search vs. Google Scholar

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Wed Apr 12 13:13:48 EDT 2006

I noticed in the CNET article that " The service currently covers only
physics, electrical engineering and computer science, Microsoft said in
a statement," -- When we had various databases mounted on the MELVYL
system at U of California, the LEAST used system was INSPEC, the primary
engineering database. It was also one of the largest. It appeared to us
that the academic work done in engineering does not generate the same
amount of literature searching as that in other fields. So starting with
these topics, and perhaps giving users the impression that this is
primarily a science/technology service, may not be a winning strategy.

What was searched the most? Medline. After just a short number of years,
Medline was getting as many searches as the online catalog (1/3 of the
total searches each, with the other 1/3 spread out over 7 topical
databases).

kc

Sloan, Bernie wrote:
> Someone may have already mentioned this, but I don't recall seeing it.
>
> Microsoft is unveiling their "Academic Search" product, which looks to
> be a competitor to Google Scholar.
>
> >From today's online Chronicle of Higher Education (subscription
> required):
>
> Carlson, Scott. Challenging Google, Microsoft Unveils a Search Tool for
> Online Scholarly Articles. Today's News. Chronicle of Higher Education.
> April 12, 2005. (Subscription required).
> http://chronicle.com/daily/2006/04/2006041201t.htm
>
> Also:
>
> Lombardi, Candace. Microsoft reveals answer to Google Scholar. CNET
> News. April 12, 2006.
> http://tinyurl.com/ghrjd
>
> And:
>
> Sherman, Chris. Microsoft Launches Windows Live Academic Search. Search
> Engine Watch. April 12, 2006.
> http://searchenginewatch.com/searchday/article.php/3598376
>
> Bernie Sloan
> Senior Information Systems Consultant
> Consortium of Academic & Research Libraries in Illinois
> 616 E. Green Street, Suite 213
> Champaign, IL  61820-5752
>
> Phone: (217) 333-4895
> Fax:   (217) 265-0454