[Web4lib] Exciting Pre-conference at ALA New Orleans

Dave Bretthauer Dave.Bretthauer at uconn.edu
Mon Apr 10 13:49:00 EDT 2006

Electronic resource librarians, publishers, library contract officers,
library managers, and others may be interested in this exciting
preconference taking place at ALA Annual in New Orleans. This is not
just another program on licensing.
----
Contracting for Content in a Digital World:
An exploration of the current issues in policy and practice
Friday, June 23, 8:30 am - 2:30 pm, New Orleans, LA

Panelists:
Ann Okerson, Yale University & LibLicense-L on The Overview
David Ferreiro, Director, New York Public Library on the Google Contract

Alicia Wise, Publisher's Licensing Society, UK on A Standarized License
Miriam Nisbet, ALA Washington Office on Copyright Issues in Transition
Helen Wilbur, Thomson/Gale- a Vendor's View, Buying and Selling Content
Sybil Boutilier, San Francisco Public Library- moderator (and Special
Guests)

It isn't about Force Majeure (though it's an issue for New Orleans),
it's about the Forces of Competing Interests that are impacting our
licenses and contracts in the age of digital library materials.

Not only are all types of libraries contracting for digital content,
they're providing content for digitization and delivery by aggregators
and search engines. Access to digital library materials is one of the
hottest evolving issues worldwide, and it is made concrete in our
contracts.

A panel of top experts will discuss the forces and interests on the
national and international scene that are shaping the new terms
libraries, publishers, aggregators and search engines are negotiating in
contracts and licenses today.

What changes in U.S. and foreign Copyright law are impacting the terms
and language in our contracts and licenses?

How will these affect content owners' and library users' rights and
restrictions?

What different types of licenses and contracts are emerging?

What is the progress of the movement to Standardize Licenses and will it
help or hurt?

What needs to be considered and negotiated when search engines and
aggregators want to digitize and serve up your library content?

How can libraries and vendors come to terms on Click- through and
Web-wrap licenses?

What are the contract trends regarding archiving, perpetual access,
permanent copies, open access, micro-data pricing, digital library loan
and other sticky issues?

We'll examine some successful strategies, review the latest licensing
survey of Libraries and Publishers, and have an opportunity to interact
with top experts on all these subjects and more.

The competing forces are at work in the development of new technologies
and new laws. In the U.S. Congress and courts, and in International
bodies they are shaping the rules and laws and industry standards that
impact how we can use digital library materials and the terms &
conditions we'll have to negotiate in our contracts and licenses. This
workshop will give us the chance to advance our learning about these
important trends from the people with direct experience at the highest
levels.

Continental breakfast and box lunch included.

Sponsored by: LITA & COL Subcommittee on Intellectual Property and
Technology
Register online through May 19th at www.ala.org.

LITA accepts on site registrations at the pre-conferences
For further information, contact the LITA Office at 800-545-2433 x4269