[Web4lib] Waiting Lists for Computers

Elizabeth Harman elizabeth at avenue.org
Thu Apr 6 09:21:38 EDT 2006

Envisionware has the option of a receipt printer, that will print out
which computer and time. You can also choose various options such as PIN
number (we validate by card # and last name), Card number, etc. Because
patrons make a "reservation" there is no hanging around for their turn.
They have an assigned computer at an assigned time. This concept can
take some getting used to, but the best explanation I heard can over the
Envisionware Users listserv.

Calling it a "reservation" is confusing. Its better to think of it as an
"appointment" Just like at a doctor's office, you have an assigned time.
But another patient can walk in after you and get seen before you. You
still have your appointment.

There is the option of "short sessions" so if a person wants a computer
RIGHT NOW, either walk in or has an existing reservation, they can go to
a free computer and log in. If they have a future reservation, it will
ask if they want to cancel their existing reservation for use right now.
  The only way to insure that they will get the full session time that
your library allows is to make a reservation.

The staff management consoles can "View Reservations" so if someone
forgets, staff can look up the information for them.

Liz Harman
Jefferson-Madison Regional Library
Charlottesville, VA