[Web4lib] Waiting Lists for Computers

HAZEL Margaret E margaret.e.hazel at ci.eugene.or.us
Wed Apr 5 16:32:25 EDT 2006

Related question -

We are about to begin with PAMS, because they could integrate our
existing patron SmartCards.

We'd originally thought we did not want to have a large LED or plasma
screen to display the queue, to let folks know when their PC reservation
was ready, and to instead simply install the reservation software and
queue on all the catalog PCs, so users could toggle back and forth, and
check there.

We have three floors in our Downtown library, and 2 small branches.  We
think the toggle might still work in the branches.  But at
Downtown...are we inviting crowds of folks to monopolize catalog PCs,
and hovering over each other's shoulders to see the screen?  Are the
larger display methods a distraction to service, do they encourage
crowds to gather, too, would we need to provide seating there,  do we
need screens on all 3 floors?  Each floor is the length of a city block
- if we only have one on each floor, is that poor service?  I guess we'd
still have it available on the catalog PCs, too.

How are other places handling this, and do you feel it's working, what
are your concerns?

Thanks.

-Margaret
Margaret E. Hazel