[Web4lib] What Sort of Library is Open Source Software For?

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Fri Sep 23 09:33:47 EDT 2005

John Fereira wrote:

> Whether a products beats the pants off another depends a lot on the
> requirements.  I know a lot of people that don't consider MySQL to be
> a viable technology for enterprise wide database driven applications,
> especially in the area of transaction management.

I mostly agree with this statement, which is why I made the disclaimer
[in most conditions...].  Most projects are not enterprise wide at the
library level (I'm not saying they don't exist, they just aren't nearly
as common).  There's a ton of content and services that are served from
Access and FileMaker Pro, so, certainly, there's a market for "less than
enterprise" level rdbmses.

Also, note, Evergreen ILS is being built upon PostgreSQL (and to be
considered successful, /must/ scale to the enterprise), and Koha is
built upon MySQL (although current requirements aren't as demanding as
Evergreen's).

-Ross.