[Web4lib] What Sort of Library is Open Source Software For?

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Thu Sep 22 23:29:50 EDT 2005

I would like to second what David wrote.  Also, there is an assumption
here that an Open Source software product might not be "finished" or
"turnkey".

In fact, Apache is the most widely deployed web server on earth.

Mozilla's Firefox, while not enjoying the market share of Internet
Explorer, is gaining popularity and certainly doesn't require any geeky
hacker types to use.

I think there's a misconception between "good" software and "bad"
software and the license it is distributed under has nothing to do with
it.

There are times that commercial, closed source systems are a superior
choice (EZProxy comes to mind here).  There are Open Source products
that beat the pants off their commercial brethren (I think of Apache,
MySQL or PostgreSQL [in most conditions for the latter two]).

There is no reason an Evergreen ILS or Koha couldn't compare to a
Unicorn, Voyager, etc.  I'm not saying they do now, but they could,
especially with more libraries' patronage.

And the geeks may be optional, but they will sure help things run more
smoothly and ideally... that goes for commercial products equally to
open source.

-Ross.