[Web4lib] What Sort of Library is Open Source Software For?

David Dorman dorman at indexdata.com
Thu Sep 22 21:32:02 EDT 2005

At 02:15 PM 09/21/2005, Karen Coyle wrote:
>Mike Taylor wrote:
>
>>>Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 19:06:46 -0700 (PDT)
>>>From: li li <liligs1973 at yahoo.com>
>>>
>>>Do anyone know about the requirement and responsibility of system
>>>staff maintaining Open source library systems?
>>>

>>That would be exactly the same as for proprietary systems.
>For the developers, yes, that is probably the case. But the fact is that
>most libraries do not do development work on their own systems, they rely
>on vendors. I often feel like we are comparing the purchase of a vendor
>system with running your own open source system, and those are not
>comparable. The open source "gestalt" is very do-it-yourself, while the
>library approach to systems grows out of a recent (and pretty much
>ongoing) experience of purchasing "turnkey" solutions.

Karen,

Your observations, and the assumptions behind them, may be valid for a lot
of library Open Source software, but not for all of it, and certainly not
for Open Source software in general.

You seem to be contrasting proprietary software distributed by a commercial
company with Open Source software distributed by a non-commercial group of
programmers, probably academic, that have a do-it-yourself gestalt.

What Mike is saying is that Open Source software is also distributed by
commercial companies as well.  These companies, and Index Data (for which
Mike and I both work) is among them, do not expect libraries to have a
"do-it-yourself" approach.  We offer complete "turnkey" systems and
commercial support for them.

The big difference between commercial support for proprietary software and
commercial support for Open Source software is that the former is
obligatory and the latter is optional.  If you decide not to pay ongoing
support for proprietary software, you lose the right to use
it--totally.  If you decide not to pay for ongoing support for open source
software, you still retain the right to keep using it.  That is one of the
main reasons why support costs for proprietary software are so high in
comparison to support costs for Open Source software.  This is what Mike
was alluding to when he used the word "monopoly."  (My only disagreement
with Mike on this point is that, realistically, there is not much choice
for getting support.  In theory, anyone could offer commercial support for
Index Data's Open Source software.  In practice, only Index Data does.)

>  There are many libraries that don't have "root" on their own system,
> which is reserved by the vendor for maintenance and repairs (and to keep
> the library from getting itself into a mess that the vendor will then
> need to fix). So library "system staff" may not be doing programming or
> development currently, and the library may not have staff that can create
> applications.

Here again you assume that there is no commercial company supporting Open
Source "turnkey" software.  A library that so wishes can treat Open Source
software from a commercial company as a black box to be delved into only by
the vendor.  The main reason that this is so rarely done is that most
librarians share your misconception that Open Source software is only
appropriate for libraries who have geeks to grok it.  By perpetuating this
myth and saying that library Open Source software is appropriate only for
libraries with lots of technical experts (with lots of time on their
hands), you do a disservice to companies like Index Data and LibLime whose
Open Source software is fully (and commercially) supported and is quite
appropriate for any library, regardless of the level of involvement they
want with their software.

David

>kc
>
>>The only
>>difference is that institutions with an open source system have
>>additional _opportunities_, to do with control over how their system
>>works and what it integrates with; but of course there is no
>>requirement to take these opportunities up.
>>

>>>Are there other costs incurred by an open source library system?
>>>

>>No.  There is no reason at all why maintaining an open source system
>>should be more expensive (in either time or money) than a proprietary
>>one: in fact, the converse is usually true, since _any_ suitably
>>skilled/experienced programmer can make changes as required to an open
>>source system, whereas with a proprietary system you are tied into the
>>vendor's support arrangements or nothing, with all the usual negative
>>(for the customer!) consequences of any other monopoly.
>>
>>_/|_    ___________________________________________________________________
>>/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at miketaylor.org.uk>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
>>)_v__/\  "No man ought to surrender his own judgment to any mere authority,
>>         however respectable" - Joseph Priestley

>--
>-----------------------------------
>Karen Coyle / Digital Library Consultant
>kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net
>ph.: 510-540-7596
>fx.: 510-848-3913
>mo.: 510-435-8234