[Web4lib] Lending/selling USB drives

Louise Alcorn Louise.Alcorn at wdm-ia.com
Thu Sep 22 14:36:30 EDT 2005

We are looking into selling (and/or lending) USB (thumb, flash, etc.) drives in lieu of floppies, which medium is increasingly unreliable.  I have some questions for the collective Web4lib wisdom:

If you sell or lend USB drives:

1) Do you sell or lend?  Or both?

2) If you lend, do you barcode them and security strip them, or just barcode for lending and do some sort of other security?

3) If you sell, where do you get them from--a wholesaler?  Which one?

4) What size do you get?  Do you go for small--16MB, 32MB, or larger?  I'm looking for smallish (and thus cheap to buy/sell), but I don't know how available these still are from wholesalers.

Any advice would be appreciated.  I need to take some options and data to the 'bosses' pretty soon, and I want as much ammunition as possible.

Many thanks,
Louise

Louise E. Alcorn     --    Reference Technology Librarian
West Des Moines Public Library
4000 Mills Civic Pkwy
West Des Moines IA 50265
(515) 222-3573      louise.alcorn at wdm-ia.com