[Web4lib] web site search engines

Tito Sierra tito_sierra at ncsu.edu
Thu Sep 22 11:17:04 EDT 2005

For a standard website search application I would recommend Nutch
(particularly if you already have Tomcat server running):

"Nutch is open source web-search software. It builds on Lucene Java,
adding web-specifics, such as a crawler, a link-graph database,
parsers for HTML and other document formats, etc."

Here is a tutorial which provides an overview of what's involved in
using Nutch (ignore the "whole-web crawling" section):
http://lucene.apache.org/nutch/tutorial.html

The Nutch crawler is relatively easy to configure via XML files.
When you download Nutch you also get a .war file which contains a
starter JSP script for displaying search results.  So you can get a
prototype of your library search application running in a few hours
(assuming you have Tomcat already set up).  After that, you will
spend most of the time tweaking the crawl filter, and tweaking your
presentation script.

In addition to HTML pages, Nutch can index Word and PDF docs.

Here is a library search application that makes use of Nutch for
website search:
http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/search/?q=usability

Tito