[Web4lib] What's wrong with this picture?

Heather Ebey weblibrarian at sent.com
Tue Sep 20 11:21:45 EDT 2005

Stacy,
I think Jonathan Bloy's note about inviting students in to do a
usability study is a splendid idea. If you don't already have Steve
Krug's book "Don't Make Me Think," I highly recommend it. There is a
chapter on how to do a usability study cheaply, yet gain significant
insight in a very short period of time. I believe both Steve Krug
<http://www.sensible.com/> and Jacob Nielsen <http://www.useit.com/>
think you can find about 85% of the problems with only 5 people testing
the Web site.

Also, to back up Jonathan's mention of the alt tag, that is something
that everyone learns in any basic HTML class. When I took XHTML at SJSU
SLIS, we lost points if we missed any alt tags.  To be sure I never
missed one, I ran my homework through the W3C markup validation
service: http://validator.w3.org/

--Heather (MLIS in progress--May 2006)
Heather Ebey, weblibrarian at sent.com
http://librarianway.com/