[Web4lib] What's wrong with this picture?

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Tue Sep 20 07:39:14 EDT 2005

At 07:55 PM 9/19/2005, Stacy Pober wrote:
>Our school has redesigned the college website without asking for input
>from the librarians (or any other faculty as far as I can tell).  Most
>of the content is the same, but the colors, fonts, and layout
>have been transferred into a template.  Splash screens have been added to
>each section, and a large scrolling image gallery takes up most of the
>landscape on the first screen of every page.
>
>You can view the new design at:
><http://www.manhattan.edu/library_mc/index.shtml>

That is really ugly.  The text over photos on several pages (i.e. the main
page) is really hard to read. The foreground/background colors for some of
the sections are very difficult to read as well.  It gets really ugly if
you're viewing one section then go to a drop down menu.  The scrolling
images not only take up a lot of real estate but are distracting.  Rather
than scroll the images rendering random images would still eventually
display all of the images for a section.

On the upside, it looks like the site makes heavy use of css so changing
the colors schemes would be really easy.