[Web4lib] What's wrong with this picture?

Gimon, Charles A CAGimon at mplib.org
Mon Sep 19 22:43:19 EDT 2005

My reaction on seeing that scrolling image gallery? "Yeah, it's a LIBRARY, we get it! We get it!"

A lot of sites will use Flash (or Java) to have one image fade into the next within the same rectangle. Then you get to show all the pretty pictures that people think they need to display, without chewing up a ton of real estate.

The drop-down menus pester me -- navigation that's that important should not be dependent on Javascript.

The white text on purple is an affectation, and inappropriate for an area where people expect to get work done.

And just to add insult to injury, the "Library Staff" page gave me a "404 not found".

Oh, and somehow the juggernaut of "design" doesn't seem to have hit the athletics dept. yet. Are they exempt?

My take on font size arguments is that they're unwinnable by either side. I'd focus your offensives elsewhere.

Overall, they did a splashy paint job, but didn't address the visual organization or structure of the pages themselves. Beyond the purple, the main block of content in this page

http://www.manhattan.edu/library_mc/geninfo.shtml

probably hasn't changed in years, and this is the sort of page that could benefit from the eye of someone who can organize visual layout. But--that didn't happen here.

And you raise a good point about school colors. Are there any communications policies or standards in place to consult?

We all have our problems, nobody's perfect...but I can definitely validate your discomfort here.

Those are only my personal opinions. Or as Groucho Marx said: "Those are my principles. If you don't like 'em, I have others."

--Charles Gimon
  Web Coordinator
  Minneapolis Public Library