[Web4lib] Copyright Law (fair use) analysis of Google Print program

Maurice York maurice.york at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 22:57:08 EDT 2005

Not one to argue the legal fine points myself, I will simply make a
perspective comment, which is one that I have heard Google emphasize
on several occasions. The number of works that are in the public
domain or orphaned represent the significant percentage of books owned
by libraries. The items that are in print or have active copyrights
that have not lapsed in one way or another represent only a fraction
of the holdings of the universities that Google has engaged in the
Print project, not to mention all of the other reasearch library
holdings that are out there in the bellies of future potential
partners. It seems to me that Google has a strong case for orphaned
works, if not for books with active rights, particularly if libraries
can set aside the Google squabbling and recognize that working with
the giant on getting a collective and satisfactory approach to
orphaned works benefits everyone all the way around.

So it seems that the discussion on active copyrighted works, which has
come to dominate almost the entire discussion, is perhaps bloating out
of proportion to the long-term prospects of the project as a whole.

2 cents minus a penny for leaving my credentials in my other wallet,
naturally.....

-Maurice

--
Maurice York