[Web4lib] computer lab support

David Fulton dfulton at mailbox.lpl.org
Thu Sep 8 13:32:15 EDT 2005

How much support do you offer in your computer labs? We are a public
library but I'd be interested to hear from those in academic
settings, too.

We are trying to write a policy about the level of support we can
offer in our computer lab. The lab has 4 PCs and 4 Macs. All have CD
burners, digital imaging software, the Office Suite, and Internet.
One has InDesign. We also have a flatbed scanner and a slide scanner.
We have 1 B&W and 1 color printer. Scheduling of lab computers is
done by a lab attendant (clerk) at a desk outside the lab. The
attendants rotate hourly shifts at this desk. When a patron has a
question, they ask the lab attendant first. If the attendant doesn't
know the answer, the patron is referrred to a librarian at the
reference desk.

Because of what we offer, the questions cover a wide area and can get
pretty technical. Answering them can take a lot of time as well. Our
philosophy is that we provide resources in the form of computers and
software. We are here to get you started but we won't do your work
for you. We encourage patrons to be self-sufficient. We wrote Quick
Start guides that explain how to scan a picture, how to burn a CD,
how to attach a file to an e-mail message, etc. We also have a shelf
of manuals in the lab: Dummies books, Missing Manuals.

There are varying levels of expertise among the lab attendants and
librarians. Some of our patrons get angry when we don't know the
answer to their question. One of the attendants knows Photoshop very
well. If she helps a patron, he expects the same level of service
from the other attendants.

I'm in charge of a committee to decide what our policy is and how to
implement it. Right now we think it's best to offer a basic level of
service, but we're not sure exactly what that means. And once we
figure it out, how to we communicate this to patrons and staff?

Thanks.
--
David Fulton
Liverpool Public Library