[Web4lib] Duplicating/overlapping resources for Katrina

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Wed Sep 7 12:55:06 EDT 2005

At 12:14 PM 9/7/2005, Patricia F Anderson wrote:
>Karen,
>
>Thank you for the excellent thought to use lessons learned from Katrina to
>inform discussions and planning for both archiving and disaster/homeland
>security/preparedness discussions. I have seen similar discussions come
>forth on other library lists.
>
>Some of the lessons I've noted are these.
>
>  - Doctors in shelters may not have access to online resources. There
> needs to be identified a core set of print reference materials that
> medical and public libraries keep print duplicates of to distribute at
> times like these. The Govt could develop a set of core information
> resources to keep in print, and ensure that a copy is in every library in
> the country as print and CD, as well as online..

Which Govt should that be?  Doctors treating people in shelters in
Indonesia after the tsunami had the same needs for online resources as
those treating people in shelters as a result of a hurricane that happened
to hit U.S. soil.  Fortunately, someone *has* developed a list of core
resources.  The World Health Organization maintains a site called Hinari
(Health Internetwork Access to Research Initiative).  Essentially, many of
the major journal publishers (the list is quite long) have provided access
to their subscription based services for online journals for use by
developing countries.  In this case, Doctors working in a shelter are
likely working under similar conditions than doctors working in many of
these countries every day.  The system has an authentication/authorization
mechanism which restricts access to these journal subscriptions only to
institition in eligible countries.  It would be nice to be able to
temporarily grant access to the collection based on emergency needs but I
am aware that the system doesn't currently support that.  However, as I
know who the project managers are for the system I can make an enhancement
recommendation.  The Hinari site can be found at: http://www.who.int/hinari/en/

If you visit the site you'll find a like to the Agora program, a sister
site which provides Agriculture related information to developing
countries.  I was the initial system architect/programmer for the Agora
programme.

Compiling a collection of online resources for medical or agricultural use
is only useful if it is accessible.  In the case of developing countries
just obtaining reliable internet access is a huge issue.  I've heard
stories of it taking 3 years just to the a land phone line in many
not-so-small cities in African countries.  Even if a collection of online
resources were available getting internet access into the facilities where
those in need of the information may be more problematic.  As far as I know
the astrodome hasn't been set up as a wireless hotspot (let's give those
geek squad dudes a real challenge).  In many developing countries with
marginal infrastructure to support internet access the use of web
accessible cell phones has increased faster than computers with dialup
connections.  Maybe it's time that the use of satellite Internet service be
revisited.