[Web4lib] Duplicating/overlapping resources for Katrina

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Wed Sep 7 12:08:22 EDT 2005

At 11:57 AM 9/7/2005, K.G. Schneider wrote:
>One of the phenomena I've noticed in Katrina is the number of
>duplicated/overlapping resources, such as the plethora of people-finding
>databases--so many that a separate project has emerged to create a
>metasearch function for these databases (the People Finder Project). I also
>read a note on a completely unrelated list where a well-meaning guy seemed
>to be ready to build a temp-housing database, and he seemed unaware of the
>other databases that have already been developed.

I read about this one in the paper this morning.

http://www.hurricanehousing.org/

I mentioned the other day that Cornell was offering Tulane students and
faculty transfer and employment opportunities.  The Cornell daily rag
indicated that 300 Tulane students have pursued the opportunity so far.

>One of the contributing factors, I've heard, is that the Red Cross was very
>slow in getting its people-finder function going. But I'm wondering if
>disaster preparedness doesn't mean ensuring databases are in place and
>widely accessible before a disaster strikes... or that there is a standard
>that allows for easy cross-searching of any disaster database, with ways to
>fine-tune searching through metadata.

I'd be curious about some sort of database that matched victim needs with
donations opportunities.  There is a local store that is accepting
donations for cases of bottled water.  Since I usually stop at the store on
the way to work I've made small donations each day.  For a $3 donation
they'll send a case of bottled water to hurricane victims and match the
donation so they'll actually send two cases.  I would imagine that
initially, getting bottled water and canned food is of the highest priority
but as the weeks go on their needs will change.  I don't want to continue
to donate cases of bottled water if what people really need is clothing.