[Web4lib] RE: More on the Open Content Alliance

Broun, Kevin (NIH/NCI) brounk at mail.nih.gov
Fri Oct 28 16:38:25 EDT 2005

Why is the assumption that the content would be locked up in either
place (Google or UM)?  Once it's online, will other search engines be
prevented from coming along to index it?

It also might be good to get past the notion that it's a bad thing that
Google is in this, whether in whole or in part, for the money.  If it
wasn't for the money then the progress in digital initiatives at these
libraries, and in competing/related projects like OCA, would be a lot
slower in coming.  And if we don't think that Yahoo's participation in
OCA isn't at least partially motivated by potential profits and the need
to compete with Google, then we've been breathing a little too much dust
from those volumes that are being brushed off before they go into the
scanners...

- Kevin