[Web4lib] RE: RE: More on the Open Content Alliance

Perry Willett pwillett at umich.edu
Fri Oct 28 12:51:05 EDT 2005

Just to respond to a misperception in Roy's email:

>    It seems to me that if Google truly believed in their
>much-vaunted mission "to organize the world's information and make it
>universally accessible and useful" then they would take this
>opportunity to enlighten us all on how we can all digitize better and
>faster than ever before. But I guess not. Their true mission, it
>seems (as if anyone doubted this) is to corner the market on
>information and therefore make a killing on advertising since we will
>all need to go through their system to see the goods.

This is just not the case. The University of Michigan is getting a copy
of everything that Google scans. We are planning now for making these
materials available online at the University of Michigan. Again, let me
point to our FAQ, especially Q20 and Q22:
<http://www.lib.umich.edu/staff/google/public/faq.pdf>

Perry Willett
Head, Digital Library Production Service
300 Hatcher North
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1205
Ph: 734-764-8074