[Web4lib] More on the Open Content Alliance

Norma Hewlett hewlett at usfca.edu
Thu Oct 27 21:01:59 EDT 2005

I seem to be on the opposite side of this debate.

Their graphical interface would probably be unwieldy for a full library
collection, but it seems appropriate for this pilot collection of old
books. It does a good job of showing the binding, illustrations and
typography. These features are lost in a text-only presentation, and
they are essential for understanding the book as a historical artifact.

Also, I like the "click anywhere on the page to turn the page" feature
very much. It's much easier to use than the page-turning mechanism on
ebook programs such as Ebrary, which requires me to  move my mouse to a
tiny Next button at the top of the screen or scroll it down to the
bottom.

I'm on a T-1 line, so the wait for the page to refresh is quite short.
I especially like the way you can view two pages at once, and how the
pages are the main feature on the screen. The other ebook formats I'm
familiar with break the screen up into several separate fields, and
cram a single page display into one relatively small portion.

I think this would be a good format for historical collections, such as
a webiste on the works of a particular author. The interface is
obviously a work in progress, and I'd expect it to ultimately include
audio and text versions as well as this graphical one.

Jean Hewlett
University of San Francisco

All opinions are my own, and do not represent my employers.