[Web4lib] RE: More on the Open Content Alliance

Perry Willett pwillett at umich.edu
Thu Oct 27 16:37:57 EDT 2005

Others have commented on the OCA website itself, but I'd like to respond to
an issue in Roy's message:

>         Meanwhile, Google representatives still refuse to
> answer any questions as to their procedures for scanning books in
> the Google Library project, despite direct questions at Internet
> Librarian today.
> Roy

Obviously, I'm not an objective observer here, but I don't see what
difference it makes how Google scans the materials. The salient points are
a) we're convinced that it poses no risks to our collection and b) the
resulting digital objects meet the standards of the digital library
community. For more on b), see our FAQ (especially Q16):
<http://www.lib.umich.edu/staff/google/public/faq.pdf>

(Bravo OCA!)

Perry Willett
Head, Digital Library Production Service
300 Hatcher North
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1205
Ph: 734-764-8074