[Web4lib] Public computers & security of personal info

Alan Stewart stewarta at memphislibrary.org
Thu Oct 27 14:22:27 EDT 2005

(Cross-posted to PUBLIB, WEB4LIB, LITA-L, and the ULC Digital Managers
Discussion Group.  Please forgive duplication.)

Like many public libraries, the Memphis Public Library and Information
Center has a formal policy discouraging customers from using our public
PCs to disclose personal information over the Internet.  Our policy
says: "The library is not responsible for any liability that may occur
as a result of the disclosure of financial or other personal information
over the library's public computer services. Users should be aware that
use of public computers is not a secure medium and that third parties
may be able to obtain information regarding user's activities."  In
practice, we know that customers do online shopping, file their taxes,
complete job applications, and so on using our computers, and if they
need staff assistance while doing these tasks, we don't deny it to them;
but our official stance has been not to promote this kind of use.

We found ourselves relaxing on this position during the recent hurricane
disasters.  Like many libraries, we offered our PCs to hurricane
evacuees who needed to file their FEMA aid applications as soon as
possible.  Not only did we provide the computers, but we made a special
effort to promote this service to local emergency responders and to the
news media.  Staff created guides to help evacuees navigate the FEMA web
site and successfully complete the online form.  No one thought too much
about the inconsistency with our computer usage policy - after all, this
was an emergency situation.

Now, we are beginning to worry if we have let the genie out of the
bottle.  In the last few weeks, our staff has been asked by local human
services agencies about the possibility of library computers being used
by seniors to apply online for Medicare Part D before the December 31
deadline.  In addition, at a recent local conference, a judge suggested
that individuals needing to complete a credit counseling briefing before
filing for bankruptcy under the new federal law could use public library
computers to do this online.

All of this raises some questions for us:

Do we need to revisit our policy regarding public library computer
usage?  Are our concerns over security overstated?

If our concerns are valid, how do we deal with the demonstrated need for
public computers that people can use to *securely* transmit personal
information as a requisite to receiving critical services?

We are very interested in learning if some of our colleagues are facing
similar questions, and what decisions you may have reached.

Thank you,

Alan Stewart
Electronic Services Coordinator
Memphis Public Library & Information Center
3030 Poplar Ave.
Memphis, TN 38111
phone: (901) 415-2856
fax: (901) 323-7108