[Web4lib] Consumer Group Raises Concerns about Google PrintLibrary

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Oct 25 14:36:56 EDT 2005

In an ideal world, I'd be inclined to be anti-IP, but in this world I'm
inclined to believe that, like it or not, IP is going to be around a long
time along with grossly unfair distributions of wealth.  Look at Disney
successfully lobbying to get the length of copyright extended just before
Mickey and friends went public domain.

IP does go some way (in the absence of fairer methods) to getting at least
some recompense for creative results to the creators.  Unfortunately, the
people who benefit most from IP are not the creators of IP, but those who
"own the means of production".

Independent film makers want access to bigger budgets to do what they want
to do artistically.  Small town bands want to catch the ear of a producer
and sign a contract to become stars.  Free concerts in the town square
might be a step to that, but they don't put bread on the table.  Free
software writers usually have jobs (or want them) making good money
writing commercial software.  I'm not particularly happy about all this,
but so what?

Let's remember where this discussion started.  Google is operating in
_this_ world and their goal is not unadulterated good to all humanity, but
making money for shareholders.  A lot of other people have a monetary
interest in the material they propose to use to enrich themselves and so
there is bound to be a fight.

Those of us concerned about the downside of IP should save our energy to
oppose the push to base everything on IP.  We need to preserve an area for
"public goods" and not do everything according to a business and markets
model.

Chris

THE OPPOSITE VIEW

For many system shoppers it's