[Web4lib] Nielsen's Top 10 - 2005 version

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Fri Oct 21 16:14:36 EDT 2005

I think that before you start citing salon, yahoo and sun as
exemplary sites (good or bad), you should first of all characterize
them accurately.

Salon is NOT a fixed width site- it widens if you make your window
wider. true, the 4 columns require a rather large minimum width,
but...

www.Yahoo.com scales its width based on your font size- pretty cool-
it appears to be a fixed number of characters wide. It's much more
advanced than your typical site that codes for a fixed screen width.
my.yahoo.com is a fully flowing, non-fixed width site.

www.sun.com is a good example of a fixed width site, but go look at
java.sun.com or sunsolve.sun.com, which are customer focused. It
seems the sales and marketing people at sun believe in fixed width
and the support and software people at sun believe in flowing
layouts. Pick the organization to emulate that you think is most
similar to your organization.

--

Eric Hellman, President                            Openly Informatics, Inc.
eric at openly.com                                    2 Broad St., 2nd Floor