[Web4lib] Nielsen's Top 10 - 2005 version

Lynne Puckett lpuckett at billings.lib.mt.us
Thu Oct 20 19:53:29 EDT 2005

Popp, Mary F. wrote:

[snip]
> What other practical and accessible tools of this sort from sources in
> LibraryLand can members of Web4Lib suggest for use in discussions with
> library colleagues and administrators?
>
> Mary

Howdy, folks!
One of my favorite usability sites (not library related, but good
anyway) is:
http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/

These guys have a sense of humor, and hold their own site up for laughs
as well, on purpose. Here's a short quote on their web-design philosophy:

<quote>
Nobody cares about you or your site. Really. What visitors care about is
getting their problems solved. Most people visit a web site to solve one
or more of the following three problems.

    1. They want/need information
    2. They want/need to make a purchase / donation.
    3. They want/need to be entertained.

Too many organizations believe that a web site is about opening a new
marketing channel or getting donations or to promote a brand. No. It's
about solving your customers' problems. Have I said that phrase enough?
</quote>

They emphasize that any design elements that interfere with your primary
goal is a hindrance, not a help. Defining the goal is the big problem. I
don't know that I practice what they preach, but I'd like to think I'm
trying. It's very basic and practical, and I like that.

Lynne
--
L. E. Puckett
Reference & Electronic Systems Librarian