[Web4lib] Nielsen's Top 10 - 2005 version

Andrew Darby adarby at ithaca.edu
Thu Oct 20 16:12:24 EDT 2005

Everybody, pile on!

While you may not agree with everything he says, and may be put off by
his (occasionally) schoolmarmish tone, I think it is a bit unfair to
pick on poor Jakob Nielsen.  He has, after all, been publishing in this
field for decades, and rather than presenting a purely subjective
opinion usually backs up his assertions with research.  To accuse him of
a lack of "practical experience" seems a bit rich.  To accuse him of a
deficiency of "common sense" seems the sort of ad hominem attack more
suited to the political sphere . . . where is this pool of common sense,
and how do i drink me some?

And let's not forget--he gave us permission to do usability studies with
only four or five subjects.  That's surely a gift to those of us in the
.edu domain.

Andrew Darby
Web Services Librarian
Ithaca College Library