[Web4lib] Federated search products

ina.smith at up.ac.za ina.smith at up.ac.za
Thu Oct 20 09:57:51 EDT 2005

Hallo Yuliya

We are currently also going through a very comprehensive evaluation process
of federated search engines and link resolvers at our university. Everything
we did so far is available on our blog at http://fedsearch.blogspot.com

We first conducted a literature survey, from which we compiled a comparative
overview - also available on our blog.
>From that we compiled an evaluation instrument (also on blog) with
evaluation criteria.
Currently we are in the process of interacting with the vendors. Each of the
vendors gets an opportunity to demo their product via Interwise/WebFeat to
20+ evaluators (representative from 3 large universities in SA). We then
have a Q&A session, followed by a hands-on session.

Hope this is of some help, and good luck!

Kind regards,

Ina Smith
Academic Information Service (Library)
University of Pretoria
Tel.: +27 12 420 3082
E-mail: ina.smith at up.ac.za

This message and attachments are subject to a disclaimer. Please refer to
www.it.up.ac.za/documentation/governance/disclaimer/ for full details. /
Hierdie boodskap en aanhangsels is aan 'n vrywaringsklousule onderhewig.
Volledige besonderhede is by
www.it.up.ac.za/documentation/governance/disclaimer/ beskikbaar.