[Web4lib] Nielsen's Top 10 - 2005 version

Norma Hewlett hewlett at usfca.edu
Wed Oct 19 18:14:12 EDT 2005

I totally agree with Lynne. My vision is 20/30 with glasses, good
enough so I can drive a car, and very far from being legally blind. I
keep my monitor set to 800x600 and my browser text size set to largest
font. (See, I know how to adjust the settings.)

I hate web pages with fixed fonts, especially those with less than 12
point type. Most of the time I just skip those pages. (Did you put all
that effort into designing your page so people will skip it without
reading it?) I don't care how nice the page layout looks if I can't
read the text. If I really need to read the content, I copy it, paste
it into Word, and enlarge the font there. (So much for the page layout!)

The Windows magnifying glass may be a good tool for enlarging pixils
but it's a terrible way to read a page. I defy anybody to use it on a
regular basis. Anyway, why should I need a magnifying glass to read
your web site? I thought the idea was to put out the information in a
form that will attract readers, not make things difficult for them.

Jean Hewlett

All opinions are my own, and do not represent my employers.