semi-liquid layout (was Re: [Web4lib] Nielsen's Top 10 - 2005 ver sion)

Broun, Kevin (NIH/NCI) brounk at mail.nih.gov
Wed Oct 19 14:20:15 EDT 2005

I agree with Erik that usability is definitely an issue with liquid layouts
on large screens, but if there's a choice, I'd prefer a liquid to non-liquid
layout, and let the user size the browser window as he/she finds
appropriate.

In trying to pursue a middle ground, I've been working with semi-liquid
layouts, where the content reflows with the window width to a certain
extent, but avoids falling apart in the case of a huge window width.  One
way to do this is to put the page content inside a "main" div and control
width in the stylesheet like this:

div#main {min-width: 650px; max-width: 900px; width:
expression(document.body.clientWidth > 900 ? "900px" : "auto");}

Standards-compliant browsers will respect the 650-900px range.  Since IE, at
least through version 6, ignores max-width, the "expression" code is a
kludge for IE to keep the content from spreading too wide (I didn't bother
with the minimum width for IE in this case).

Obviously, "huge" is in the eye of the beholder and you can set whatever
ranges you think are appropriate for your site.  With some more work, it
also could be done dynamically to let the user set the range as well,
possibly in response to, or in conjunction with, user-set font sizes or
other settings that may be helpful in improving accessibility while
maintaining your site design.

- Kevin

Kevin Broun
Senior Web Developer / NCI LION Team Lead
Office of Communications
National Cancer Institute
kbroun at nih.gov