[Web4lib] MyLibrary-LIKE: Who, What, Where?

Charlie McNeil umassdlcc at umassd.edu
Sun Oct 16 14:06:57 EDT 2005

All -

We are about to undertake a library web redesign. Over time we have seen
people discuss uses of MyLibrary-like applications to provide better
user-centered library services. Some focus on the MY part and allow users to
build there own resource pages; some focus on being able to push content in
context such as reserve reading lists and subject guides to courses in an
LMS such as WebCT. User centered and reusability/adaptability seem to be the
key features.

What we are wondering is who is actually using these applications and to
what purposes? Is it just a few with larger tech staffs or are there many
that just do it with little fanfare. We have a small systems staff, but we
too want to create an environment that is user-centered and enables the user
to get their work done in the best way possible.

We have such a mix of systems that there is an obvious need to somehow pull
it all together better. For example, like many others, we have a library
website, an OPAC (Endeavor), an eReserve system (Docutek), SerialsSolutions
for journal management, consortia Virtual catalogs, RefWorks and Ezproxy
authentication. We are also about to implement metasearch and OpenURL
resolver systems (Endeavor).  How do we make it all work together as whole
and how do we prepare for interfacing our systems with others such as WebCT
or a university portal.

>From the outside, it appears that a MyLibrary-like application provides a
toolbox that enables both library users and library staff a means to make
better sense and better use of all that our library can provide. Do others
feel that way?

Sorry for the wordiness, high anxiety lessens my efficiency.

-        charlie

charlie mcneil
systems & digital services librarian
umass dartmouth library