[Web4lib] Authority + Wikipedia

Dobbs, Aaron DobbsA at apsu.edu
Thu Oct 13 12:43:00 EDT 2005

I suspect that the NYT example is a tad oversimplified?

Prior to recent allegations, I suspect people felt that NYT content was
authoritative because they assumed it was rigorously fact-checked prior
to publication as the "paper of record" or whatever the phrase is/was
that NYT uses as a self-description.

Ergo, it was popular because it had the image of authority.

So, which comes first: the authority image or the popularity?
The NY Post is (er.. was?) popular, but I never got the feeling that it
was all that authoritative.
Ditto WaPo (imho).

Bingo on the trust issue :)

-Aaron
:-)'

"Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing
your temper or your self-confidence."
-Robert Frost