[Web4lib] Authority + Wikipedia

Peter Morville morville at semanticstudios.com
Wed Oct 12 16:36:01 EDT 2005

That's an excellent clarification. Thanks Jason. Of course, I worry that
librarians will have a hard time reaching more than a small percentage of
the population with this message. What I'd like to see is greater
information literacy on a large scale. Perhaps our K-12 system will help.
Perhaps the Web will help. Either way, if more people are better able to
evaluate and select trustworthy sources, the gap between popularity and
quality will grow smaller. Over the long haul, I'm not convinced that we
can't trust "we the people" to select authoritative sources, to a degree.
After all, we trust them to select our leaders and our president, to a
degree.

Peter Morville
President, Semantic Studios
http://semanticstudios.com