[Web4lib] Reader review capability now available in OpenWorldCat

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Mon Oct 10 14:01:10 EDT 2005

> OCLC today released the ability for readers to write their own
> reviews for books in OpenWorldCat. See Lorcan's blog at <http://
> orweblog.oclc.org/archives/000825.html>. Readers can also upload
> tables of contents or add notes as well. These are all stored in a
> wiki system (WikiD) outside of the catalog itself.
> Roy

Usability observation re registration: I didn't think the page was too long,
but I had no idea I existed in the system. It kept insisting "The E-mail
Address you entered is unavailable. Please enter a different E-mail
Address." It should tell me that the address is already registered. Once it
dawned on me that mebbe somehow I already existed, it was easy to get a
password reminder (actually a new password methinks).

Second observation, re writing the review: "Composing or editing text within
this form is not recognized as browser activity." A system would log me out
while I'm exercising My Craft? After 15 minutes? Why?

Third: if the review is going to be held (which is understandable, Amazon
does that too; nobody wants to read spam or troll vomit), tell the review
writer right there on the screen. I submitted the review... I clicked on
reviews... it wasn't there...now it is... but most days Lorcan Dempsey can't
sit there watching the reviews come in. ;-)

Fourth/Fifth: would love the ability to see when other people comment on
things I comment on, and have access to a list of things I've reviewed.

Overall, very neato concept!

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com