[Web4lib] Open Content Alliance announced

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Wed Oct 5 14:14:30 EDT 2005

I look at this and I begin to wonder what it means to "provide digital
versions of books, etc." Google seems to have set themselves a very
well-defined scope of indexing and displaying "snippets." This means
they don't have to worry about providing a book-like experience or to
provide for downloading, format shifting, and a whole host of other
things. This project appears to attempt to replicate the library
collection in digital form, which is a much larger task, and one with
additional technical and user service challenges.

I also wish that Brewster hadn't said: "... by the time my kid goes to
college, we could have a library system that is just astonishing."
GONG!  Brewster, we HAVE a library system that is just astonishing. I
really want to insert the word digital in there, revisionistically.

kc

Roy Tennant wrote:

> "The Open Content Alliance, a project that Yahoo is backing with
> several other partners, plans to provide digital versions of books,
> academic papers, video and audio. Much of the material will consist
> of copyrighted material voluntarily submitted by publishers and
> authors, said David Mandelbrot, Yahoo's vice president of search
> content.
>
> Other participants in the alliance announced Monday include Adobe
> Systems Inc., Hewlett-Packard Co., the Internet Archive, O'Reilly
> Media Inc., the University of California and the University of Toronto."
>
> More at:
>
> NYTimes article: <http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/technology/AP-
> Online-Book-Project.html>
> Project Web Site: <http://www.opencontentalliance.org/>