[Web4lib] MARC strictness

Walter Lewis lewisw at hhpl.on.ca
Mon Nov 28 20:49:16 EST 2005

Mike Taylor wrote:

>Yes, I am also intrigued by this ... and sort of scared of what the
>answer will probably turn out to be. [snip]

The blame for part of the problem posed by Lars, the inconsistent use of
punctuation at the ends of the subfields ( commas and periods, or not in
1xx and 7xx fields), can be laid squarely at the feet of ISBD
(International Standard Bibliographic Description) punctuation.

[Climbs on hobby horse and begins vigorously rocking back and forth]

ISBD punctuation is an antique and weakly conceived set of rules that
attempted to use different bits of punctuation to separate "subfields"
in a catalogue record ... *card* catalogue record.  While not a man
generally inclined to recommend book burning,  I'm prepared to look
sideways while the can of gasoline slips out of my hand and spills over
the ISBD guidelines.

MARC has subfields (an extraordinary technical achievement in its day,
and not bad still).  But in this century, we *all* display records on
screens using templating systems.  The side and back flips that we have
to go through to display this in vendor and custom built systems because
of some half-[a____|hearted] adherence to an outmoded, and fundamentally
ineffectual set of rules from the era of the 3x5 card is entirely beyond
my comprehension.

I may not be prepared to march behind Roy chanting "MARC must die", but
I can have my "Hang the Evil Henchman: ISBD must Die" placard ready in a
"gif".

[Climbs off hobby horse and waits for someone to throw a match]

Walter Lewis
Halton Hills