[Web4lib] Unix vs. Windows

Joshua Daniel Franklin jdf.lists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 16:53:23 EST 2005

On 11/21/05, JML wrote:
> What are the plusses, and minuses, of each platform?  Thanks for your
> assistance.

This question was re-posted to LISnews here, I've copied the responses below
(not written by me):

http://lisnews.org/comments.pl?sid=13192&threshold=-1&mode=flat

#
I thought this to be an interesting question that warranted some
discussion here.

Windows has the disadvantage of requiring so many service packs, and
of course needing the reboot after. As for Unix, I found that vendors
don't upkeep the Operating System for you, so unless there is someone
on staff who is not afraid to get their hands dirty, you might wind up
with a system that can be easily compromised. What do other LISNews
users say?

#
I almost Agree
(Score:2)
by Blake (2) on Monday November 21, @06:49PM (#22530)
( http://eblake.com/ | | Last Journal: Friday November 25, @02:22PM )

I'd say you're almost right on your Windows/Unix comparison, though
most Unix variation do come with (not free) support, and many versions
of Linux are the same way. Support is out there for most things in the
Open Source world, if you're willing to pay.

Personally I'm a Linux guy, so I'd suggest going that way, but I tend
to be biased.
#
Re:I almost Agree
(Score:1)
by pv_sapl (2826) on Tuesday November 22, @12:05PM (#22540)
( | Last Journal: Wednesday October 26, @03:05PM )

You are quite correct, I think. Although in the original post I should
have been more specific: quoting "library system cendors" instead of
just plain "vendors".

I've also had the displeasure once of "discussing" with a vendor about
at what point a product was broken: Not the implimentation, or the
vendor library software; but because of the perticular setup being
quite unique, it revealed a bug at the tcp/ip level of the operating
system: Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1. This "discussion" went on
for two weeks until I got fed up and went with the correct solution
offered to me from a completely different source, which did fix the
problem.
--
I know to much and yet not enough

I can tell you that III does a shoddy job of admining their welded shut boxes.