[Web4lib] Who's afraid of Google?

Beatrice Pulliam bpulliam at postoffice.providence.edu
Mon Nov 28 13:08:16 EST 2005

I'd be more inclined to think that we're just not at the table (again) or at
the kiddie table permanently.  I'm personally still in the "only thing we
have to fear is..." camp. Because I think I have a handle on the limitations
of Google, I'm less likely now to light a torch/sound a battle cry.    We DO
have it within our power to make ourselves more relevant, make our tools
"model user behavior", make them useful in the appropriate context, etc.  I
just had an IM exchange with a user looking for an article from a scientific
journal.  Student's prof said it could be found "online at the library or in
Google". I initially only had a title (not full or exact) to go on, so for
kicks I popped it into GS.  Nothing even after I took out the usual stop
words.  Following a hunch, I found it PubMed, with the same incomplete
title.  The student needed more articles and asked if "PubMed had a search
engine she could use" which enabled me to impart some useful info about
PubMed and the benefit of using a database vs. Google (in this instance).
This all happened in about 5-7 minutes. The challenge now for me is how can
I make this a bit simpler for the next user?

Beatrice

Beatrice R. Pulliam
Reference Librarian and Assistant Professor
Phillips Memorial Library
Providence College
549 River Avenue
Providence, RI  02918