[Web4lib] Read and write but not execute from USB flash drives (& other removable media)

Zimoski, Tom Tom.Zimoski at fresnolibrary.org
Sat Nov 19 10:06:50 EST 2005

Greetings,
I'm looking for advice about how best to allow our library users to read from and write to their USB flash drives, but not to run programs from them.  We're using Windows 2000.  We have some machines set up, through controls on the browser, to allow access only to our online catalog.  The other day I discovered that I could run a browser from my USB device on one of these "catalog only" stations and at least one library patron is running some chat software off his.

I mention USB devices specifically because I have experimented with them recently, but we do want the same policy - read and write but not execute - to apply to all removable media and also to those directories on drive C to which we allow patrons to temporarily copy files.  I should see if I can run programs from them too.

I'm a public service librarian, not a system administrator, you may be relieved to learn.  If you can suggest a better place to ask this question please let me know.  I am aware that asking our own tech support staff is one option.

Tom Zimoski