[Web4lib] Big OPACs?

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Thu Nov 17 15:49:10 EST 2005

The Melvyl catalog at the University of California has 13,382,289 bib
records, but as I'm sure Bernie appreciates merging records is more
black magic than either an art or a science, so this should not be
considered an accurate count of what a human being might consider to
be items unique enough for a different bib record. Suffice it to say
that any catalog with multi-million records is a significant beast
that keeps one or more people up at night.
Roy