[Web4lib] ethernet cable alarm

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 01:01:28 EST 2005

There are a number of software products that will monitor devices in
various ways, the simplest being a PING test.  An example is What's Up
Gold.  The software has management screens that show status of a bunch
of devices, normally used for monitoring servers, but it could be used
to make sure a fleet of PCs is online.

But if you do this client-side, what if the PC is simply powered down
before it's unplugged?  If you do this server side, wouldn't an alert
go off if the PC is powered down, or if there is a glitch on the
network?

/rich