Fwd: [Web4lib] A Delicious Future for Libraries?

Jeremy Dunck jdunck at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 18:32:25 EST 2005

FYI.. I always forget to reply to all.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jeremy Dunck <jdunck at gmail.com>
Date: Nov 2, 2005 5:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Web4lib] A Delicious Future for Libraries?
To: Karen Coyle <kcoyle at kcoyle.net>

On 11/2/05, Karen Coyle <kcoyle at kcoyle.net> wrote:
>  I'm
> pretty sure that putting lots of public domain text on the Internet for
> free is not in itself going to cause the revolution that folks like
> Michael Hart and Brewster Kahle are hoping for. There's a huge social
> and individual element that we have not addressed. Compared to the
> technology questions, these more human questions are many times more
> difficult. But if we don't solve them, then the technology is just
> turning out more copies to be stored on more machines, without enriching
> the lives of people.

Before the press, very few knew how to read, since there was little
point; the priests interpreted the Books.

It is not much changed in some places in the world.  Having drawn
words available makes it more likely that people's interest in them
will awaken.

If the worst that happens is a few unused bits on our net, I'm OK with that.  :)