[Web4lib] reorganizing a web site

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Tue Nov 1 13:27:34 EST 2005

At 11:33 AM 11/1/2005, Kathy Gaynor wrote:
>We are in the midst of a complete redesign and want to use this
>opportunity to reorganize our library's web site
>(<http://library.webster.edu>).  We started many years ago as a web site
>with a handful of pages that we threw into the root directory.  We have
>made subdirectories as needed over the years in a somewhat haphazard
>fashion (gee, the root directory is getting pretty long, let's move some
>stuff out of there).

It's been a few years since we did the same thing but I may be able to
offer some lessons learned.  In our case, not only did some of the
directories accumulate lots of static html pages, but as content was added
much of it ended up in the same "section" on the web site (Library Services).

>So far we have looked at our content and have done a rough inventory.  We
>have assigned working names to groups of similar files (e.g. "Facility
>Information", "Instructional Materials", etc.).  These are rather broad
>categories to my mind.

We essentially did the same thing.  We actually printed off screen shots of
all of the pages (only the top portion of the page was really needed) and
then started to reorganize them into piles.  We wanted to end up with six
major sections for the site which more or less matched the functional areas
in the library.  Each of those sections may have been broken down in to up
to 8 or so subsections.

When determining a directory naming scheme a deeper hierarchy with fewer
files in each directory (even if it's only one index.html page) is much
easier to maintain.

 From the main home page of the site we wanted to be able to get to any of
the major sections and all of their subsections.

We used Dreamweaver to create the site.  The main page didn't have a
template but all of the sections each had a template (with a standard color
scheme).  That allowed content providers to only deal with a couple of
dreamweaver templates and each of the sections had it's own "images"
directory.

If you want to have a look at the final results it is at
http://www.mannlib.cornell.edu