[Web4lib] reorganizing a web site

JB Bryant jbnmia at zoominternet.net
Tue Nov 1 11:50:16 EST 2005

Kathy:

This is analogous to creating a large library out of what started as a
small book collection. In my opinion, the root directory should be
treated as the library building itself. Few if any things should be
there. I do think the root directory should contain an "index.htm" file
-- in other words, something useful that visitors will see if they go
straight to your root. But this index file could even be a redirector.

As to organizing the content, again it is like building a book and
resource collection. Small, private libraries or even small public
libraries do not need to classify their books as granularly as larger
libraries. A very small library that uses the Dewey system might choose
to use only whole numbers in its classification system. But the
possibilities of subdividing to the right of the decimal point are
almost endless. The larger the collection, the more detail is needed in
classification.

The same is true with the files in your root directory. In the
beginning, when you only had a handful of pages, placing a few files in
the root directory was adequate. Now you've grown larger and your need
to classify with more granularity. Your size alone can determine how
much is enough.

However, if you were advising a small library on building its
classification system and that library knew it would steadily grow
significantly larger, you would probably advise them to start off with
detailed classification so that they didn't have to go back and
re-number their holdings at a later date. Similarly, how detailed you
choose to build your subdirectory structure depends on what you see in
the future for your website.

I hope this helps.

J.B. Bryant
Knowledge CPT