[Web4lib] converting MP3 to streaming audio

Paul R. Pival ppival at ucalgary.ca
Tue May 31 16:02:08 EDT 2005

If you just want them to hear a *specific portion* of the audio file,
you might consider converting it to a shockwave flash file.  I've
recently been doing some experimenting with having audio/narration play
automagically on top of some tutorials I'm working on, and I think it's
going to work well.

Here's a mockup I put together in about 4 minutes -
http://www.ucalgary.ca/library/libcon/stream.htm  -- just view the source.

I created this by importing the mp3 into a Flash MX library and then
exporting the "movie" - I left the audio in stereo with decent fidelity,
but you can really compress it if you want to save space.

The major advantage I see is that no player at all is needed.  You could
easily use a pop-up to play this page, so it would only play if someone
asked it to.

If you don't have the full version of Flash, you could use Boomer Audio
to do the same thing, and even more easily.  I was just about to buy
this when I realized that my full version of Flash should be able to do
the same thing :-)  Boomer Audio can be seen at
http://www.segon.com/boomerau.html

Once created, no special software is needed at your end - just files on
your server...

Paul R. Pival
Distance Education Librarian
213E MLT