[Web4lib] ALA RFP for Content Management System

Elena OMalley Elena_OMalley at emerson.edu
Wed May 25 17:42:04 EDT 2005

Dave Walker:
> What most organizations don't realize, and what I'm hoping ALA now does,
> is that content management is not a *technical* problem, and it simply
> can not be solved by the IT department installing a bigger, better CMS.
> Content management is an editorial process not a software project.

I am well aware that Karen Schneider and others who support the new CMS are also aware
of this, but the CMS itself is only part of the iceberg, as Dave notes.

When Karen says "they're doing a good job of interacting with their stakeholders,"
I hope so. I hope the stakeholders include people who deep link to the
site and those with disabilities. Both received rather short shrift at the last
launch. I'm sure others on this list can think of others who were left out.

I sincerely send my best wishes to those involved with the new project. Please do
what you can to look out for those who aren't at the table.

Elena O'Malley
__
Head of Library Computer and Internet Services
Emerson College Library, Boston, MA 02116